Wednesday, August 17, 2011

A Buzz Buzz.

Nature can be creative, too, no?





I have been contemplating the effect a large wasp's nest - size of two human heads large, thriving suburb of stingers large - can have upon my state of mind. Overall my take is that if I leave its inhabitants alone, they'll leave me alone. And yet. And yet, I see this basket-weave-of-a-nest growing (and growing) outside my living room window and I am none-too-comfortable with it. I marvel at the beauty of it, sure, but the purposefulness with which those wasps crawl about the surface strikes me as a bit too...focused. I'd much prefer the drowsy demeanour of laid-back October wasp, or even a bad-ass John Belushi kind of bee. The latter might appear a little threatening, but at least I'd know what I was up against.

On a totally tangent note, the shape of this wasp's nest reminds me of the bulbous heads on those annoyingly single-minded aliens in the original Star Trek episode. (Was anyone else reminded of a person's bum upon seeing them?).

I suppose in the chill of late autumn the nest will be abandoned, but until that time, I shall cast a wary eye towards that sagging branch. Trying hard to banish persistent thoughts about how cool it would be if it were a piƱata!



4 comments:

  1. I believe the official name for those aliens is "Talosians", but in my family, they're called " the bumheads".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny! I was just out walking my sister's dogs wondering what those guys were actually called and my next thought was "bumheads." Good to know I wasn't alone!

    Then there was the salt sucking monster, the rock with flashing lights, the green dancing girl - or blue, whatev...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first thought on seeing that wasps nest was of Dad, with a tin of Raid taped to the end of a couple of poles, taped together to make it one extra long pole, and him shoving the tin of raid right into a BIG hornets next attached to the kitchenette! So many really touching memories....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gin, on Hickson? I don't remember that - they probably made me stay in another room so I wouldn't worry about Dad! Wow...THat sounds so much like him - rigging something up and quite nervy. But if the Raid was at the end of the pole, how'd he manage to spray?

    Ack. I can totally see him right now. Shorts to his knees, old t-shirt and some old work shoes. Although hopefully he was wearing more than that when he attempted this.

    ReplyDelete